Monday, November 24, 2008

Teething Troubles

We've had a really rough week due to teething. I use the collective pronoun "we" because the teething process has truly affected the whole family. Of course I know that the turmoil that has been inflicted on Nathan and I is nothing compared to what Addie is experiencing. I would gladly take her pain as my own, but unfortunately that is not how things work.

Addie has had the classic teething symptoms (e.g., drooling, gnawing on everything) for a while now. At the beginning of last week she started having major sleep issues. This was odd because Addie has been a pretty decent sleeper since birth. A few days later she wouldn't allow me to put her down, so I just carried her everywhere. Then her gums were super inflamed. At this point I realized that teething must be the cause of all the problems. Parenting books and the Internet confirmed that teething can cause major sleep disruptions in some babies.

We have found very little relief in "normal" teething remedies such as teething rings and Tylenol. We did find homeopathic teething tablets at the drugstore which have really done wonders for us. The first night she took them she slept 6 straight hours! She is also nursing about double what she was a week ago. I think nursing provides her the most comfort. I am thankful that she is not a baby who quits nursing during teething because she is so small.

After all this we have no teeth to show for the pain. We keep hoping that one has popped up every time she wakes up, but no such luck for her. Keep your fingers crossed that she gets a tooth out soon for everyone's sake. Also, Nathan really wants to see one before he leaves on Thursday.   

No comments: