Sunday, August 23, 2009

Welcome Home Honey! There's a Bat in the Washing Machine

Addie and I excitedly welcomed Nathan home from deployment last Sunday at 2:30 in the morning. It was an odd time to welcome him home, but great nonetheless.

The day of Nathan's arrival I spent the day cleaning. Of course cleaning with a young toddler is often fruitless. During the cleaning process I put a load of Addie's diapers in the wash. As I was transferring the diapers to the dryer I noticed a black mass in the washing machine. Perplexed by what the mass could be, I moved closer only to notice fur. My first inclination was that I had a dead mouse in the washing machine. This pretty much freaked me out as we have never had a mouse in the house (that I know of).

I gave myself a pep talk and figured that I could remove the mouse from the washing machine. As I was strategizing my next move I noticed that the dead animal appeared to have wings. That's right folks, there was a dead bat in my washing machine! A. DEAD. BAT.

A dead bat might not be any more problematic than a dead mouse for some people, but I must admit that I have a pretty severe bat phobia. I have no clue what this phobia stems from, as I have never had a negative encounter with bat. I am taking the easy way out and blaming the media for demonizing the blood sucking creatures.

After a brief panic attack, and a few calls to my mom to express my concern that we could possibly have a bat infestation in our house I decided that the removal of the bat would have to wait until Nate came home. There was no way I could get that bat out and stay sane. On one of the many calls to my mom I expressed my concerns of a bat attacking Addie (seriously). Of course she HAD to tell me that it would NEVER happen, but after I was off the phone with her I found this story. FREAKY.

So, when Nathan got home at 2:30 a.m. I didn't even mention the bat, but after a few hours of sleep I figured he was up for some bat removal. When I mentioned that there was a dead bat in our washing machine Nate just laughed and went about his business. After he spent a couple of hours playing with Addie I was really getting antsy for him to get that bat out. Not to mention the bathroom was starting to stink. I finally resorted to begging.

When he opened to washing machine he said "Oh my gosh, there's a dead bat in our washing machine!" Are. You. Kidding. Me? I had only been telling him for 3 hours. He swiftly removed the bat carcass, and I bleached the washing machine.

Oh the joys of having a husband home!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

While searching the internet for "dead bat in my house" I came across your blog! I found a dead bat hanging upside down next to my furnace (in my kitchen!) yesterday and I am freaking out! I removed it myself after much crying and shaking. Now, should I be worried that there are more where that came from? Did you call an exterminator or anything?