Thursday, July 30, 2009

Our Little Bookworm

Addie loves books! I can't even begin to explain how excited this makes me (and her Dad)! 

We've been reading to Addie since she was in the womb. I remember receiving weekly e-mails on fetal development all through out my pregnancy, and when I got word that she could hear we started reading to her. We actually began buying her books before we even thought about conceiving her. Needless to say, books are valued in this family.

I have to admit that I often feel as though I short change Addie with story time. At the end of the day I am exhausted, and the last thing I want to do is read stories. I almost always opt for Goodnight Moon not only because it is short and cute, but also because it takes little effort on my part. I worried that my night time indifference would hamper Addie's love of books. Luckily this is not the case, and I usually make up ground in the daytime with a few stories. 

Addie rarely sits through a whole story, but her attention span at story time is getting longer. When she wants off my lap I just continue reading while she plays. She just loves to look at the pictures, especially if the pictures involve animals. She will go to the book shelf pick out a book, sit on the floor, and flip through the pages. Often times the book is upside down, but she still studies the picture with gusto! 

Recently she has decided that she wants to look at "grown-up" books too. She points at the one she wants and whines until I get it off the shelf. As you can tell, I usually oblige. 

Hmm...I don't quiet think she's ready for A Million Little Pieces.

No comments: